1. Brush a 20cm square cake tin with oil or melted butter.
Line base with baking paper.
2. Sift the icing sugar and cream of tartar into a large bowl.
Make a well in the centre and add the condensed milk. Using
a wooden spoon, stir in half the coconut; add the remaining
coconut. Using your hands, mix until the ingredients is well
3. Divide the mixture in half. Tint one half with pink food
colouring. Knead colour through evenly with hand.
4. Press pink mixture over the base of the prepared tin; cover
with white mixture and press down firmly to even the surface.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Remove coconut ice
from tin and cut into squares or bars.